These Chocolate Filled, Chocolate Chip Cookies are ridiculously easy to make, but are such a great idea to add to things like treat boxes, or onto a market or fair stall.
Do you ever have a good old clear out of your Kitchen Cupboards?……no me either, well not very often anyway. BUT yesterday I couldn’t squeeze anything else in my baking cupboard. I’d been shopping to restock the basics; sugar, flour, baking powder, that kind of thing, and they just wouldn’t fit!!
So time for an impromptu clear out. I pulled everything out and found some real little ingredient gems that I’d totally forgotten. It was like Christmas had come early – like pulling an old handbag from your wardrobe and finding a fiver in the bottom. I just love it when that happens, which sadly isn’t very often.
Anyway, at the back of my cupboard, amongst the dates, raisins, chocolate chips, vanilla essence etc, was a jar of Chocolate Spread…….unopened!!!!!! Seriously? Who has unopened chocolate spread in their cupboard? Me, apparently.
After having a 1 or 2 (or 4) crumpets with it slathered over, I set about baking.
These Chocolate Filled Cookies are really easy peasy. You need to pop your Chocolate Spread in the fridge for an hour or 2 before starting as it makes it firm and easier to roll into the middle of your cookie. You could also use Peanut Butter, but sadly I didn’t find any of that in my cupboard.
As with any cookies, the Chocolate filled cookies cookies can be kept in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The dough, can be frozen, unbaked for up to 3 months. I would advise making them into dough balls, and freezing them individually. That way if you have an order for just 4, you can get 4 out of the freezer and bake them, leaving the others in the freezer for another order.
Chocolate Filled, Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 100 gms Block Butter at roome temperature
- 75 gms Light Brown Sugar
- 100 gms Caster Sugar
- 1 Beaten Free Rance Egg
- 1 tspn Vanilla Extract
- 250 gms Plain Flour
- 0.5 tspn Bicarbonate of Soda
- 0.5 tspn Salt
- 100 gms Chocolate Chips
- 0.25 Jar Chocolate Spread or Peanut Butter
- In a bowl cream together the butter and both types of sugar, until thick and creamy
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix through until fully combined
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and add to the other ingredients.
- Mix together, I found a wooden spoon best, until you have a thick dough.
- Mix through the chocolate chips
- Take a spoonful of the mix and roll into a ball. Flatten the ball in the palm of you hand and put a teaspoon of Chocolate Spread in the middle.
- Bring up the sides of the ball until the Chocolate Spread is covered, and again roll into a ball.
- I got 10 out of the mix, however, I may have got more if I hadn't eaten so much (I have a weakness for cookie dough – don't try this at home though as it contains raw egg – it's a risk I'm willing to take).
- Pop all the balls on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least an hour. This allows the butter and Chocolate Spread to set-up.
- Pre-heat your oven to 175c fan, 180c, 350f or gas Mark 4
- Lay your cookie dough balls onto 2 baking sheet, making sure there is at least 2 inches between them as they will Spread when they bake
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the sides just start to turn golden
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Don't try to move them straight away as they need time to firm up as they cool down
- Transfer to a cooling rack, or into your waiting mouth.
- These will last up to 5 days if kept in an airtight container.